Assoc Prof Loh Hwai Liang, Alwin
Singapore General Hospital
MBChB (Hons), FRCPath
Dr Alwin Loh graduated from the University of Manchester in 1999 with honours in Medicine and Surgery. He subsequently joined the Department of Pathology of the Singapore General Hospital in November 2000 and was trained in Anatomic Pathology under the tutorship of Drs Tan Puay Hoon, Gilbert Chiang and Ivy Sng. In 2006 he obtained membership from the Royal College of Pathologists, and has been admitted Fellow since. Dr Alwin Loh has an interest in disorders of the kidney and urinary tract, especially medical renal diseases and transplant pathology.
In 2007, he was awarded the HMDP scholarship for renal pathology and did his training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles under the mentorship of Dr Arthur Cohen. During his time at Cedars-Sinai, he was actively involved in various CME activities in Surgical Pathology.
- MBChB (Hons), University of Manchester, 1999
- FRCPath (Royal College of Pathologists), 2006
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School
- Director, SingHealth Pathology Residency Programme
- Director, Medical Student Education, SingHealth Duke-NUS Pathology Academic Clinical Programme
- Member, SGH Campus Education Council
- Fellow, Royal College of Pathologists
- Member, Renal Pathology Society
- Member, Singapore Society of Nephrology
- Outstanding Faculty, SingHealth Residency Academic Year 2012 / 2013
- HMDP Scholarship for Renal Pathology, 2007
- Farah BL, Landau DJ, Wu Y, Sinha RA, Loh A, Bay BH, Koeberl DD, Yen PM. Renal endoplasmic reticulum stress is coupled to impaired autophagy in a mouse model of GSD Ia. Mol Genet Metab. 2017 Sep 1 [Epub ahead of print].
- Wong MK, Ng CCY, Kuick CH, Aw SJ, Rajasegaran V, Lim JQ, Sudhanshi J, Loh E, Yin M, Ma J, Zhang Z, Iyer P, Loh AHP, Lian DWQ, Wang S, Goh SGH, Lim TH, Lim AST, Ng T, Goytain A, Loh AHL, Tan PH, Teh BT, Chang KTE. Clear cell sarcomas of kidney are characterized by BCOR gene abnormalities including exon 15 internal tandem duplications and BCOR-CCNB3 gene fusion. Histopathology. 2017 Aug 18 [Epub ahead of print].
- Salcido-Ochoa F, Hue SS, Haase D, Choo JCJ, Yusof N, Li RL, Allen JC Jr, Iqbal J, Loh AHL, Rotzschke O. Analysis of T Cell Subsets in Adult Primary/Idiopathic Minimal Change Disease: A Pilot Study. Int J Nephrol. Epub 2017 Aug 15.
- Salcido-Ochoa F, Hue SS, Peng S, Fan Z, Li RL, Iqbal J, Allen JC Jr, Loh AHL. Histopathological analysis of infiltrating T cell subsets in acute T cell-mediated rejection in the kidney transplant. World J Transplant 2017; 7(4): 222-234.
- Lee KG, Thangaraju S, Ahmed SS, Loh HL, Tng RK, Kee YS. Plasma cell-rich acute rejection of renal allograft: an unusual case of acute allograft dysfunction. Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare. 2017; 26(3): 200-202.
- Woo KT, Lim CC, Foo MWY, Loh HL, Jin AZ, Chin YM, Choo JCJ, Tan PH, Chow KY, Choong LHL, Tan HK, Wong KS, Chan CM. 30-year follow-up study of IgA nephritis in a Southeast Asian population: an evaluation of the Oxford histological classification. Clin Nephrol. 2016; 86(11): 270-278.
- Lee KG, Teo SH, Lim C, Loh A, Chidambaram V, Choo J. Severe gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus disease in two patients with renal vasculitis after immunosuppression. Clin Nephrol. 2016; 86(9): 154-61.
- Aragon E, Resontoc LP, Chan YH, Lau YW, Tan PH, Loh HL, Ng KH, Yap HK. Long-term outcomes with multi-targeted immunosuppressive protocol in children with severe proliferative lupus nephritis. Lupus. 2015; 25(4):399-406.
- Loh AHL. The Banff Conferences on renal allograft pathology - the latest 2013 report. Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare. 2015; 24(4):249-255.
- Aw SJ, Kuick CH, Yong MH, Lian DW, Wang S, Loh AH, Ling S, Peh GL, Soh SY, Loh AH, Tan PH, Chang KT. Novel karyotypes and cyclin D1 immunoreactivity in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2015; 18(4):297-304.
- Hue SS, Suhail SM, Choo CJ, Yusuf N, Loh HL, Salcido-Ochoa F. Do Foxp3+ Regulatory T Cells (Treg Cells) Play a Role in the Immunopathogenesis of Primary/Idiopathic Minimal Change Disease? ISRN Pathology 2014.
- Lim KH, Wan WK, Lim KH, Loh HL, Chang TE. Primary Diagnosis of Hirschsprung Disease – Calretinin Immunohistochemistry in Rectal Suction Biopsies, with Emphasis on Diagnostic Pitfalls. World Journal of Pathology 2014, 3:3.
- Tan CS, Loh HL, Foo MWY, Choong LHL, Wong KS, Kee, TYS. Epstein–Barr virus-associated smooth muscle tumors after kidney transplantation: treatment and outcomes in a single center. Clin Transplant. 2013; 27(4):E462-8.
- Chen NK, Chong TW, Loh HL, Lim KH, Gan VH, Wang M, Kon OL. Negative regulatory responses to metabolically triggered inflammation impair renal epithelial immunity in diabetes mellitus. J Mol Med (Berl). 2013; 91(5):587-98.
- Yang M, Loh A, Seah LL, Jajah IA, Looi A. Neuroendocrine tumors of the orbit - clinicopathological findings in 3 more cases of this rare entity and review of the literature. Orbit. 2011; 30(3): 145-9.
- Teng YH, Ang HS, Mao KZ, Lui JY, Lin JY, Yue LL, Loh HL, Chiang G, Yip GW, Tan PH. Glomerular basement membrane thickness in an Asian population using a novel image analysis software. Pathology. 2009; 41(4):342-7.
- Loh AHL, Cohen AH. Drug-induced kidney disease – pathology and current concepts. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2009; 38: 240-50.
- Loh AHL. The role of the Biopsy in Renal Transplants: Pathology, Current Concepts and Review of the Literature. Singapore General Hospital Proceedings. 2007 16 (3): 127-41.
- Chuah C, Lim TH, Lim AS, Tien SL, Lim CH, Soong R, Lee F, Linn YC, Goh YT, Cheah FK, Loh AH. Dasatinib Induces a Response in Malignant Thymoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2006 Dec;24 (34): e56-58.
- See JLS,Yang M, Loh A, Goh KY. Clinical Ophthalmic Presentations of Central Neurocytoma. Neuro-Ophthalmology 2006 Oct; 30(5): 137-43.