Assoc Prof Chow Wan Cheng
Singapore General Hospital
Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Senior Consultant & Chairman, Division of Medicine
MBBS (Spore), MMed (Int Med), MRCP(UK), FAMS
Assoc Prof Chow Wan Cheng graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore in 1985. She was further trained in Hepatology as a Clinical and Research fellow in Service d’Hepatologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France from the year 1996 to 1997. Her area of specialty is hepatology, in particular viral hepatitis and liver transplantation.
Assoc Prof Chow is currently a Senior Consultant in the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Singapore General Hospital and Clinical Associate Professor of the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine as well as Adjunct Associate Professor of Duke-NUS Medical School.
She is currently Chairman for the Division of Medicine in SGH.
2008 – current: Adjunct Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School
2008 – 2009: Chairman, Clinical Practice Guidelines on Hepatitis B, MOH, Singapore
2008 – 2009: Member, Oversight Sub-Committee on the Joint Implementation of Professional Training Competencies for House Officers, Medical Officers, MOHH, Singapore
2008: Member, Clinical Practice Guidelines on Cancer Screening, MOH, Singapore
2006 – current: Member, Specialist Training Committee for Gastroenterology, Ministry of Health (MOH), Singapore
2005: Member, SingHealth Clinical Advisory Panel for Business Development
2004 – 2009: Head, Dept of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Singapore General Hospital
2004 – current: Clinical Assoc Professor, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
2004 – 2008: Associate Editor, Singapore Medical Journal
2004 – 2005: Member, Biologics Expert Panel, Medicine Advisory Committee, Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore
2003 – current: Member, Pharmocovivgilance Advisory Committee, Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore
2002 – 2003: Member, Editorial Board, Singapore Medical Journal
2001 – 2006: Member, Advisory and scientific committee on hepatitis and related disorders, Ministry of Health (MOH), Singapore
2001 – 2005: External evaluator panel, Centre for Pharmaceutical Administration and Centre for Drug Evaluation, Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Singapore
2001 – 2003: Secretary, Working Committee for guidelines for management of chronic hepatitis B, Gastroenterological Society of Singapore
1999 Member, working party on hepatitis C management, Asia-Pacific Consensus for
diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis B and C
1998 – 1999: Chairman, Scientific Committee, Gastroenterological Society of Singapore
1994 – 1995 & 1998 – 2000: Editor, Gut Views (official publication for the Gastroenterological Society of Singapore)
- 2005 CEO Service Award Winner
- 2004 Best Poster Award, Asia Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver 14th Biennial Conference
- 1999 Seah Cheng Siang Book Prize (Best Paper Award), Chapter of Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore in conjunction with the 15th Annual Scientific Meeting of the GESS, Combined Scientific Meeting
- 1993 Seah Cheng Siang Book Prize (Best Paper Award), Gastroenterological Society of Singapore (GESS) 10th Annual Scientific Meeting
- Tan HH, Lee GH, Thia KTJ, Ng HS, Chow WC et al. Minimal hepatic encephalopathy runs a fluctuating course: results from a 3-year prospective cohort follow-up study. Singapore Med J 2009; 50(3): 255-60.
- Fried MW, Piratvisuth T, Lau GK, Marcellin P, Chow WC, et al. HBeAg and hepatitis B virus DNA as outcome predictors during therapy with peginterferon alfa-2a for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2008; 47(2): 428-34.
- Marcellin P, Lau GK, Zeuzem S, Heathcote EJ, Pockros PJ, Reddy KR, Piratvisuth T, Farci P, Chow WC, et al. Comparing the safety, tolerability and quality of life in patients with chronic hepatitis B vs chronic hepatitis C treated with peginterferon alpha-2a. Liver Int 2008; 28(4): 477-85.
- Sung JJ, Lai JY, Zeuzem S, Chow WC, et al. Lamivudine compared with lamivudine and adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B. J Hepatol 2008;48(5): 728-35.
- Chang PE, Lui HF, Chau YP, Lim KH, Yap WM, Tan CK, Chow WC. Prospective evaluation of transient elastography for the diagnosis of hepatic fibrosis in Asians: comparison with liver biopsy and aspartate transaminase platelet ratio index. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2008; 28(1): 51-61.
- Tan HH, Lui HF, Chow WC. Chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in pregnancy. Hepatol Int 2008; 2: 370-375.
- Tan HH, Ong WMC, Lai SH, Chow WC. Nimesulide-induced hepatotoxicity and fatal hepatic failure. Singapore Med J 2007; 48(6): 582-585. Author reply Singapore Med J. 2008; 49: 438.
- Thia TJ, Tan HH, Chuah TH, Chow WC, et al. Imatinib mesylate-related fatal acute hepatic failure in a patient with chronic myeloid leukaemia and chronic hepatitis B infection. Singapore Med J 2008; 49(3): e86-9.
- Chan HLY, Ren H, Chow WC, et al. Randomized Trial of Interferon Beta-1a with or without Ribavirin in Asian Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C. Hepatology 2007; 46(2): 315-323.
- Thia TJ, Lui HF, Ooi LL, Chung YF, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Tan YM, Chow WC. A study into the risk of exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg 2007; 11(5): 612-8.
- Yew BS, Ong WC, Chow WC, et al. A study into the characteristics and outcome of variceal bleeding in a tertiary hospital in Southeast Asia. Med J Malaysia 2007; 62(3): 201-5.
- Chow WC, Tai ES, Lian SC, et al. Significant non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is found in non-diabetic, pre-obese Chinese in Singapore. Singapore Med J 2007; 48(8): 752-757.
- Chow WC, Tien SL, Tan CK, et al. Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease and Hemophilia – The Singapore Experience. Intervirology 2006; 49: 107-111.
- Soong YL, Lee MK , Lui HF, Chow WC, et al. Hepatitis B Reactivation in a patients receiving radiolabeled rituximab. Ann Hematol 2005; 84(1): 61-2.
- Lau GKK, Piratvisuth T, Luo KX, Marcellin P, Thongsawat S, Cooksley G, Gane E, Fried MW, Chow WC, et al. Peginterferon Alfa-2a, Lamivudine, and the Combination for HbeAg-Positive Chronic Hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2005; 352 (26): 2682-2695.
- Liaw YF, Sung JJ, Chow WC, et al. Lamivudine for patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced liver disease. N Engl J Med 2004; 351(15):1521-31.
- Wong CH, Tan YM, Chow WC, et al. Blue rubber bleb nevus syndrome: a clinical spectrum with correlation between cutaneous and gastrointestinal manifestations. J Gastroentrol Hepatol 2003; 18: 1000-2.
- Mesenas SJ, Chow WC, Zhao Y, et al. Wild –type and ‘a’ epitope variants in chronic hepatitis B virus carriers positive for hepatitis B surface antigens and antibody. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2002; 17: 148-50.
- Chow WC, Lee ASG, Seo YC, et al. Prevalence of hepatitis G virus infection in patients with liver diseases in Singapore. Singapore Med J 2002; 43(2): 67-9.
- Chow WC. Approach to abbnormal liver function test. In: Management of Common Gastroenterological Problems – a Malaysia and Singapore perspective, 2000, 2006. Eds: Guan R, Kang JY, Ng HS, Merican I. Havas Medimedia.
- Chow WC. Hepatitis C: Retreatment and treatment of patients with renal failure. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2000; 15(S2): E152-5.
- Chow WC, Ng HS. Viral Hepatitis. In: A Clinical Approach to Medicine, 2001, 2005. Eds: Ong YY, Woo KT, Ng HS, Tan P, Tang OT. World Scientific, Singapore.
- Chow WC. Hepatitis C: issues from the Southeast Asian perspectives (Editorial). Singapore Med J 2001; 42(3): 97-8.
- Chow WC. Viral Hepatitis – an update. Singapore Fam Physician 2001; 27(4): 46-50.
- Chow WC, Boyer N, Pouteau M, et al. Treatment with interferon alfa of patients with chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 1998; 27(4): 1144-8.
- Parveen S, Morshed SA, Arima K, Nishioka M, Cazja AJ, Chow WC, et al. Antibodies to Ro / La, Cenp-B and snRNPs antigens in autoimmune hepatitsi of North America versus asia: pattern of immunofluorescence, ELISA reactivities and HLA association. Dig Dis Sci 1998, 43(60):1322-31.
- Chow WC, Ng HS. Acute Hepatitis in an asthmatic patient (Grand Round). Singapore Med J 1998; 39(2): 86-7.
- Chow WC. Hepatitis A vaccination. Singapore Fam Physician 1998. 24(2):3-6.
- Chow WC, Lee ASG, Lim GK, et al. Acute Viral Hepatitis E: Clinical and Serological Studies in Singapore. J Clin Gastroenterol 1997; 24(4): 235-8.
- Chow WC, HS Ng. Hepatitis C, E, G virus – three new viruses identified by molecular biology technique in the last decade. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1997; 26: 682-6.
- Chow WC, Linn YC, Chong R, et al. Hepatic Manifestation of Malignant Histiocytosis: a clinical experience. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1996; 25(6): 804-7.
- Chow WC, Ng HS, Lim GK, et al. Hepatitis E in Singapore – a seroprevalence study. Singapore Med J 1996; 37(6): 579-81.
- Chow WC, Ng HS, Tan IK, et al. Recurrent Hyperammonaemic Encephalopathy due to Citrullinaemia in a 52-year man. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1996; 11(7): 621-5.
- Tan IK, Chio LF, Loh FC, Ng I, Ooi BC, Chow WC et al. Inborn errors of metabolism in Singapore. J Inherit Metab Dis 1995; 18.
- Guan R, Ng HS, Fock KM, Ho KY, Yap I, Kang JY, Chow WC et al. Immunogenicity and safety of an inactivated hepatitis A vaccine amongst Singaporeans. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1995; 26(2):268-78.