A/Prof. Tan Mann Hong
Singapore General Hospital
Senior Consultant & Chairman, Division of Musculoskeletal Sciences
MBBS, FRCS (Edin & Glasg), FAMS
A/Prof Tan Mann Hong completed his medical undergraduate studies in 1985 from the National University of Singapore (NUS). He went on to complete his orthopaedic surgical training in 1994. In the same year, he was awarded the Ministry of Health, Singapore HMDP (Health Manpower Developmental Programme) and spent a year as a fellow in orthopaedic surgical oncology in the renowned Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Boston, Massachusetts, USA in 1995. He then returned to practice in the Singapore General Hospital since 1996.
His main interests within orthopaedic surgery are in musculoskeletal tumours, limb sarcomas involving bone and soft tissues, limb salvage surgery, limb reconstructive surgery with mega-endoprostheses and bone allografts, joint replacement surgery, minimally invasive surgery with percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of bone tumours, computer aided surgery in joint arthroplasties and limb reconstruction. Since 1999, he is the Director of Musculoskeletal Tumour Surgery in SGH. Dr Tan has been instrumental in setting up SGH as the main referral centre for musculoskeletal tumour surgery and limb salvage reconstructive surgery.
A/Prof Tan has cultivated limb salvage surgery in the use of mega-endoprostheses and bone allografts, especially in bone segment replacement for limb sarcomas. He has introduced minimally invasive surgery with percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of bone tumours in Singapore. He also chairs regular sarcoma board conferences with a multi disciplinary team of oncologists, pathologists and radiologists from the Singapore General Hospital and the National Cancer Centre.
A/Prof Tan is also an invited local and overseas speaker for various scientific symposiums on the topics of limb salvage surgery and reconstructive surgery, as well as musculoskeletal tumour topics. He has presented many papers during his European Travelling Fellowship in EFFORT in 1996, the ASEAN region during the ASEAN Orthopaedic Meetings, Musculoskeletal Tumour Society’s Scientific meetings, and in China as well. He has also conducted knee arthroplasty workshops overseas for the regional ASEAN medical institutions and hospitals.
A/Prof Tan is also highly involved in undergraduate and post graduate medical teaching in the faculties of Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS as well as Duke-NUS. He is part of the Core Faculty in the Singhealth Orthopaedic Residency Program, and is also involved Specialist Training Committee in Orthopaedic Surgery of the Ministry Of Health. He is well published with over 35 publications, and is a reviewer with distinction for the Singapore Medical Journal, as well as the Annals, Academy of Medicine.
- FRCS Ed (Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh )since 1990
- FRCSG ( Fellow, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow ) since1990
- FAMS ( Fellow, Academy of Medicine ) 1996 onwards
- School of Postgraduate Medical Studies, National University of Singapore 1991-1994
- Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore 1980-1985
- Local and External Examiner in Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination in Orthopaedic Surgery ,JOINT COMMITTEE ON SPECIALIST TRAINING, SINGAPORE AND THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF EDINBURGH
- Examiner in Master of Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery), JOINT COMMITTEE ON SPECIALIST TRAINING, SINGAPORE
- Associate Professor,Yong Loo Lin School Of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School
- Core Faculty, ACGMEI Orthopaedic Residency, Singhealth
- Member, Specialist Training Committee ( Orthopaedic Surgery ),Ministry Of Health
- Lecturer, Advanced Diploma in Nursing, Nanyang Polytechnic
- Reviewer, Annals, Academy of Medicine and Singapore Medical Journal
- Specialty Editor, Singapore Medical Association
- 2005 and 2006 Recognition Award for Reviewing with Distinction, Singapore Medical Journal
- SGH Service with a Heart Award , February 1999
- SGH Service with a Heart Award ,August 2006
- SGH Long Service 20 year Award 2006
- SGH Service with a Heart Award , February 2008
- Blood Transfusions and Bone Allografts: Effect on infection and outcomes. Mann Hong Tan, Henry J Mankin. Clin Orthop, 340 : 207-214,1997
- Accuracy of CT-guided needle biopsy of musculoskeletal neoplasms. Dupuy DE, Rosenberg AE, Punyaratabandhu T, Tan MH, Mankin HJ.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998 Sep; 171(3):759-62
- Adult Soft Tissue Sarcomas of the Extremities. MH Tan, BH Poon. SGH Proceedings, Vol 10 No.4, pp 241-246, 2001
- Hemopoietic Marrow Hyperplasia Simulating Transarticular Skip Metastasis In Osteosarcoma. Pui MH, Tan MH, Kuan JHY, Pho RWH. Australas-Radiol. 1995 Aug; 39 (3) : 303-5
- The Gluteus Maximus Muscle Flap for Reconstruction of Sacral Chordoma Defects : PK Poh, BK Tan, SW Hong, MH Tan, AG Tay, C Song, KC Tan ; Annals of Plastic Surgery , Vol 52, No. 3, March 2004
- Acute Management of Pathological Fractures, Chapter author in Acute Surgical Management , 2004
- Treatment of benign giant cell tumours of bone in Singapore. Lim YW, Tan MH; Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2005 Apr; 34(3):235-7.
- Optimizing the Use of Local Muscle Flaps for Knee Megaprosthesis Coverage : Harvey Chim, Bien Keem Tan, Mann Hong Tan, Kok-Chai Tan & Colin Song, Vol 58, No.5 , May 2007
- Functional Outcome Study of Mega-Endoprosthetic Reconstruction in Limbs
- With Bone Tumour Surgery. Peh Khee Tan, Mann Hong Tan. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2009; Vol 38 No.3 page 192-6
- Liposarcoma of the extremities : a review of the cases seen and managed in a major tertiary hospital in Singapore. Sean Ng, MH Tan Singapore Med J 2009; 50(9) : 857
- Is there a difference in Joint Position Sense and Kinesthesia between the ankle joints in a person with unilateral functional ankle instability? Edwin C.W. Lim and M.H. Tan. Foot and Ankle International 2009 Oct; 30(10):1011-7.
- Comparison Of The Different Modalities Of Post Operative Analgesia In Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients. Mohammad Ashik, Chia Shi-Lu, Yeo Seng Jin, Tan Mann Hong, Lo Ngai Nung. J. Orthopaedics 2010;7(1)e11; URL:http://www/jortho.org/2010/1/e11
- The Natural History and Prognosticative Factors of Adult Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcomas: An Asian Perspective. Lushun Wang, Mann Hong Tan. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2010;39:771-77
- Locked knee from superior dislocation of the patella-diagnosis and management of a rare injury. Mashfiqul A. Siddiqui, M H Tan. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc DOI: 10.1007/s00167-010-1330-y