Dr Shim Hang Hock
Singapore General Hospital
Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Consultant; Director, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre
BM (UK), MRCP (UK), M Med Int Med (Spore)
Dr Shim Hang Hock graduated with Bachelor of Medicine from University of Southampton, United Kingdom. He subsequently completed his postgraduate medical degree in internal medicine [MRCP (UK) and M.Med], and accredited as specialist in the field of gastroenterology and hepatology. More recently, Dr Shim has completed his advanced fellowship in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) at Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Canada, one of the largest IBD units in the world.
Dr Shim has a keen interest in clinical research and medical education. He has authored a book chapter, and several other publications. Dr Shim is currently a consultant in the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. He also serves as the Director of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre at Singapore General Hospital.
- Certificate of specialist accreditation (Gastroenterology), Specialist Accreditation Board, Ministry of Health, Singapore
- Master of Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- Member of Royal College of Physician (UK)
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Director of SGH Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Service
- Clinical Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Clinical Lecturer, LKC School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Adjunct Instructor, SingHealth Duke-NUS Medicine Academic Clinical Programme
- Clinical Physician Faculty Member, SingHealth Gastroenterology Senior Residency Program
- Member of Singapore Gastroenterology Society (GESS)
- Member of Cochrane collaboration
- SingHealth Health Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) Award Financial Year 2015/2016
- Best Registrar Award 2014, 2015
- Best House Officer Award 2007
HH Shim, CH Seow. Chapter 10. Cessation of biologics in IBD. Can it be done? Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease with Biologics. Ed. A Cheifetz, Ed. J Feuerstein. Springer.
- Shim HH, Seow CH. Editorial: vedolizumab in pregnancy – is gut selectivity as good for baby as it is for mum? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2017; 45: 1283–4.
- Goh BB, C Kwan, SY Lim, NKK Venkatanarasimha, RA Bakar, TL Krishnamoorthy, HH Shim, KH Tay, WC Chow. Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease–An Asian Community Based Study. Gastroenterology Report 2016 May;4(2):131-5. DOI: 10.1093/gastro/gov047. PubMed: 26463276
- Webber Chan, Hang Hock Shim, Miao Shan Lim, et al. Symptoms of anxiety and depression are independently associated with inflammatory bowel disease-related disability. Digestive and Liver Disease, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dld.2017.08.020
- Sutiman N, Chen S, Ling KL, Chuah SW, Leong WF, Nadiger V, Tjai M, Choon Kong CS, Schwender BJ, Chan W, Shim HH, Lim WC, Khor CC, Cheung YB, Chowbay B. Predictive role of NUDT15 variants on thiopurine-induced myelotoxicity in Asian inflammatory bowel disease patients. Pharmacogenomics. 2018 Jan;19(1):31-43. doi: 10.2217/pgs-2017-0147. Epub 2017 Dec 6.
- Hang Hock Shim*, Christopher Ma*, Paulo G. Kotze, Cynthia H. Seow, Heba Al-Farhan, Ahmed K. Al-Darmaki, Jack X.Q. Pang, Richard N. Fedorak, Shane M. Devlin, Levinus A. Dieleman, Gilaad G. Kaplan, Kerri L. Novak, Karen I. Kroeker, Brendan P. Halloran, and Remo Panaccione. Preoperative Ustekinumab Treatment Is Not Associated With Increased Postoperative Complications in Crohn’s Disease: A Canadian Multi-Centre Observational Cohort Study. Journal of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology. 2018. In press
- Y. Leung *, HH. Shim*, SM. Lee, E. Ehteshami Afshar, N. Sharifi, D. Tanyingoh, M. Aghaei, R. Wilkens, SR. Wilson, KL. Novak, R. Panaccione, and CH. Seow. Bowel Sonography Is Useful In Detecting Subclinical Inflammation In Pregnant Women With Crohn’s Disease And Changes Clinical Management; oral presentation; Asian Organization of Crohn’s and Colitis (AOCC) 2017
- HM Al-Farhan, AK Al-Darmaki, HH Shim, CH Seow, GG Kaplan, R.Pannacione, SR Wilson, J Halasz and KL Novak. Point of Care Ultrasound Accurately Distinguishes Inflammatory From Non Inflammatory Disease In Patients Presenting With Abdominal Pain and Diarrhea; poster abstract, Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2017; poster abstract, European Crohn’s and Colitis (ECCO) 2017
- HH Shim*, C Ma*, H AlFarhan, A Al-Darmaki, JXQ Pang, CH Seow, RN Fedorak, SM Devlin, LA Dieleman, GG Kaplan, KL Novak, KI Kroeker, BP Halloran, and R Panaccione. Preoperative Ustekinumab Treatment Is Not Associated With Increased Postoperative Complications in Crohn’s Disease Patients: A Multicentre Canadian Provincial Experience; poster abstract; Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2017
- SM Lee, ZY Zhang, ME Kuenzig, HH Shim, R Panaccione, GG Kaplan, CH Seow. Smoking Does Not Influence the Effectiveness of Anti-Tumor Necrosis Factor Therapies in Patients with Crohn’s Disease in the Short Term: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis; poster abstract; Canadian Digestive Disease Week (CDDW) 2017
- HH Shim*, C Ma*, H AlFarhan, AK Aldarmaki, JXQ Pang, CH Seow, RN Fedorak, SM Devlin, LA Dieleman, GG Kaplan, KL Novak, KI Kroeker, BP Halloran, R Panaccione. Postoperative outcomes among ustekinumab treated Crohn’s disease patients: a multicentre Canadian provincial experience; poster abstract; Canadian Digestive Disease Week (CDDW) 2017
- Chuah SW, Delord P, Sutiman N, Leong WF, Kong SC, Schwender B, Chan PW, Shim HH, Aw HY, Ong EH, Hartono J, Lim WC, Ong C, Ong PL, Ling KL, Chowbay B. Therapeutic drug monitoring of thiopurines in the management of Asian patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Poster Abstract; ECCO 2016; best oral presentation; APAGE 2016
- Sutiman N, Ling KL, Chuah SW, Leong WF, Nadiger V, Tjai M, Kong SC, Schwender B, Chan W, Shim HH, Khor CC, Cheung YB, Chowbay B. Predictive role of NUDT15 variants on thiopurine-induced myelotoxicity in Asian inflammatory bowel disease patients; oral presentation; APAGE 2016
- HH Shim, GBB Goh, C Kwan, SY Lim, NKK Venkatanarasimha, RA Bakar, DSM Lau, TL Krishnamoorthy, KH Tay, WC Chow. Perceptions of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – A Community Based Study; poster abstract; Asian Pacific Digestive Week (APDW) 2015
- WPW Chan, HH Shim, SF Leila Bahjin, SP Isaac, SW Chuah, CSC Kong. Relationship between psychological factors and inflammatory bowel disease-related disability in Singapore; poster abstract; United European Gastroenterology Week (UEGW) 2015
- Koay DSC., Salazar E., Tan CK., Chang JPE., Ong WC., Shim HH., Ngu JH. Autoimmune Hepatitis in Singapore: High prevalence of drug-induced cases secondary to herbal medicine; poster abstract; Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2015
- Koay DSC., Salazar E., Tan CK., Chang JPE., Ong WC., Shim HH., Ngu JH. High incidence of drug-induced autoimmune hepatitis secondary to herbal medicine in Singapore; poster abstract; Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL) 2015
- XY Li, BB Goh, HH Shim, YH Loh, WC Chow. Fructose intake and dietary habits in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease; Oral presentation; SingHealth Duke-NUS Scientific Congress 2014
- Shim HH, Salazar E, Chuah SW, Ling K, Thia K,Ooi CJ, Kong SC. Study of the significance between thiopurine induced lymphopenia and inflammatory bowel disease relapses; poster abstract; Asian Pacific Digestive Week (APDW)/ World Congress of Gastroenterology (WCG) 2013
*Joint co-first author