Assoc Prof Tay Kiang Hiong
Singapore General Hospital
Head & Senior Consultant
MBBS, FRCR, FAMS
A/Prof Tay is Senior Consultant and Head of the Department of Diagnostic Radiology overseeing Research and Education. He is also the Director of the Interventional Radiology Centre at SGH and the Radiology Thread Leader at the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore. A/Prof Tay’s subspecialty interest is in Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology.
A/Prof Tay did his medical training and specialist training in Radiology in Singapore. He was inducted as Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists in 1997 and subsequently obtained Ministry of Health’s HMDP and National Medical Research Council’s Scholarships for a 1 year clinical fellowship and a 6 month research fellowship in Interventional Radiology at the University of British Columbia in Canada in 2000/2001.
A/Prof Tay is currently Honorary Secretary of the Chapter of Diagnostic Radiologists, College of Radiologists Singapore and Vice Chairman of the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Subsection of the Singapore Radiological Society. He is a member of several professional bodies including the Society of Interventional Radiology and the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Society of Europe. He has been an invited guest speaker in more than 100 national and International conferences and has more than 130 oral paper/poster presentations, 13 of which have won Best Paper Awards. A/Prof Tay has been awarded several research grants and has more than 30 scientific publications.
A/Prof Tay’s current research interest is in vascular interventions, in particular re-stenosis.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), National University of Singapore (1990)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists, United Kingdom (FRCR) (1997)
- Research and Clinical Fellow in Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, UBC Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (2000 – 2001)
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore (FAMS) (2003)
- Vice Chairman, Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Subsection, Singapore Radiological Society, 2004 - Present
- Associate Professor and Radiology Thread Leader, Duke NUS Medical School Singapore, 2007 - Present
- Honorary Secretary, Chapter of Diagnostic Radiology, College of Radiologists, Academy of Medicine, Singapore, 2007- Present
- Deputy Head, Research and Education, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Singapore General Hospital, 2008 – Present
- Director, Interventional Radiology Centre, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Singapore General Hospital, 2009 – Present
- National Medical Research Council Medical Research Fellowship 2000
- Ministry of Health HMDP Scholarship 2000
- SARS Courage Medal 2003
- Service Quality Award, Singapore General Hospital, January 2008, January 2004, October 1998
- EXSA Silver Award 2008
- EXSA STAR Award 2009
- Multidetector CT Angiography of the Aortoiliac System and Lower Extremities: A Prospective Comparison with Digital Subtraction Angiography.
Martin ML, Tay KH, Flak B, Fry PD, Doyle L, Taylor D, Hsiang Y, Machan LS.
American Journal of Roengentology. 2003 Apr;180(4):1085-91
- The Role of Interventional Radiology in Acute Haemorrhage.
Tay KH, Lim WEH, Tan BS.
Acute Surgical Handbook, Editors Hwang and Ooi, Chapter 36, p601-636, World Scientific Publishing
- Perioperative Endovascular Internal Iliac Artery Occlusion Balloon Placements in the Management of Placenta Accreta.
CH Tan, KH Tay, Kenneth Sheah, Kenneth Kwek, Kenneth Wong, BS Tan.
American Journal of Roetgenology. 2007 Nov;189(5):1158-63
- Developing a Radiology Curriculum for a New Medical School in Singapore.
Tay KH, Kamei R, Tan BS.
Radiology Education: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Editors Chhem, Hibbert and Van Deven, Chapter 15, p187-195, Springer Publishing
- Gene Expression Profiling of Neointimal Hyperplasia (NIH) in Rat carotid restenosis model (PI).
- Genetic profiling of NIH in Defunct Dialysis AVF/AVG (PI)
- Multicenter pilot comparison study of magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) with the blood pool contrast agent Vasovist and intra-arterial digital subtraction angiography (IA-DSA) in patients with below-knee peripheral artery disease (Co PI)
- Prospective, randomised controlled trial of cutting balloon vs high pressure balloon angioplasty in dialysis arterio-venous graft (AVG) and arterio-venous fistula (AVF) stenoses resistant to conventional balloon angioplasty (PI)
- Phase1/2 Study Of Sir-Spheres® Plus Sorafenib (Chemo-Radiotherapy) As First Line Treatment In Patients With Non-Resectable Primary (Co PI)
- Prospective Randomised Trial Comparing Drug Eluting Stent (DES) versus Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTA) for the Treatment of Hemodialysis Arteriovenous Graft (AVG) Stenoses (PI)