Assoc Prof Ong Hock Soo
Singapore General Hospital
Upper Gastrointestinal & Bariatric Surgery
Head; Deputy Chairman (General Surgery Group), Division of Surgery and Senior Consultant
MBBS(Spore), FRCSEd (Gen Surg), FAMS (Gen Surg), FACS
Associate Professor Ong Hock Soo is Senior Consultant & Head of Department for Upper Gastrointestinal & Bariatric Surgery. He is a graduate of the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, the Academy of Medicine of Singapore and the American College of Surgeons.
His sub-specialty interests are in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Surgical Nutrition and Trauma.
- Chief of Service, Team 4 (Upper GI Surgery), Department of General Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Visiting Consultant, Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Centre, Singapore
- Senior Consultant, Nutrition Support Service, Singapore General Hospital
- Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School, Singapore
- Core Faculty, General Surgery Residency Programme (Singhealth)
- Board Member, M.Med (Surgery), Division of Graduate Medical Studies, Yong Loo Ling School of Medicine, NUS
- Censor, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Founding Member, Asia Pacific Bariatric Surgery Society
- Heart of Gold Award, Singapore General Hospital (2011)
- Service with A Heart Award, Singapore General Hospital (2007, 2008, 2010)
- Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, YLL School of Medicine, NUS (2006 / 2007)
- HMDP, Fellow , Upper GI Surgery, Princess Alexandra Hospital, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia(2002)
- Visiting Fellow in Gastric Surgery, Omiya Medical Center, Jichi Medical School, Saitama, Japan (2006)
- Research Fellow, National Medical Research Council, Singapore (1996)
- AZD6244 (ARRY-142886) enhances the therapeutic efficacy of sorafenib in mouse models of gastric cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Sep;8(9):2537-45. Yang S, Ngo VC, Lew GB, Chong LW, Lee SS, Ong WJ, Lam WL, Thng CH, Koong HN, Ong HS, Chung A, Chow P, Lee J, Soo KC, Huynh H
- Accurate Preoperative Localization of Insulinomas Avoids the Need for Blind Resection and Reoperation: Analysis of a Single Institution Experience with 17 Surgically Treated Tumors over 19 Years. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009 Jun;13(6):1071-7. Goh BK, Ooi LL, Cheow PC, Tan YM, Ong HS, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK, Soo K C
- Sorafenib induces growth suppression in mouse models of gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Jan;8(1):152-9. Huynh H, Lee JW, Chow PK, Ngo VC, Lew GB, Lam IW, Ong HS, Chung A, Soo KC.
- The distinctive gastric fluid proteome in gastric cancer reveals a multi-biomarker diagnostic profile. BMC Med Genomics. 2008 Oct 25;1(1):54 Kon OL, Yip TT, Ho MF, Chan WH, Wong WK, Tan SY, Ng WH, Kam SY, Eng AK, Ho P Viner R, Ong HS, Kumarasinghe MP.
- Critical appraisal of 232 consecutive distal pancreatectomies with emphasis on risk factors, outcome, and management of the postoperative pancreatic fistula: a 21-year experience at a single institution. Arch Surg. 2008 Oct;143(10):956-65. Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Cheow PC, Ong HS, Chan WH, Chow PK, Soo KC, Wong WK, Ooi LL.
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy for locally advanced stomach cancer: preliminary results. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Sep;78(9):767-70. Chan WH, Cheow PC, Chung AY, Ong HS, Koong HN, Wong WK.
- Non-neoplastic cystic and cystic-like lesions of the pancreas: may mimic pancreatic cystic neoplasms. ANZ J Surg. 2006 May;76(5):325-31. Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Chow PK, Ong HS, Lim DT, Wong WK, Ooi LL.
- Perforation of the Gastrointestinal Tract Secondary to Ingestion of Foreign Bodies. World J Surg. 2006 Mar;30(3):372-377. Goh BK, Chow PK, Quah HM, Ong HS, Eu KW, Ooi LL, Wong WK.
- Intra-abdominal lymphangioma: usefulness of endoscopic ultrasound and laparoscopy in diagnosis.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006 Jan;21(1):340-1. Goh BK, Tan YM, Chan WH, Yap CK, Ong HS, Wong WK.
- Endoscopic ultrasound diagnosis and laparoscopic excision of an omental lymphangioma. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2005 Dec;15(6):630-3. Goh BK, Tan YM, Ong HS, Chan WH, Yap CK, Wong WK.
- Prognostic significance of peritoneal lavage cytology in gastric cancer in Singapore. Gastric Cancer. 2005;8(4):228-37. Chuwa EW, Khin LW, Chan WH, Ong HS, Wong WK.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor involving the second and third portion of the duodenum: treatment by partial duodenectomy and Roux-en-Y duodenojejunostomy.J Surg Oncol. 2005 Sep 15;91(4):273-5. Goh BK, Chow PK, Ong HS, Wong WK.
- Symptomatic and functional outcome after laparoscopic reoperation for failed antireflux surgery.Br J Surg. 2005 Aug;92(8):996-1001. Byrne JP, Smithers BM, Nathanson LK, Martin I, Ong HS, Gotley DC.
- Posterior perforation of peptic ulcers: presentation and outcome of an uncommon surgical emergency. Surgery. 2004 Mar;135(3):321-5. Wong CH, Chow PK, Ong HS, Chan WH, Khin LW, Soo KC.
- Epidemiology of Gastric Cancer. Cancer Rev: Asia-Pacific 2004, 2(1):1-7 Ong HS, Smithers BM
- Surgical management of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography-related perforations. ANZ J Surg. 2003 Dec;73(12):1011-4. Preetha M, Chung YF, Chan WH, Ong HS, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL, Soo KC.
- Gastric cancer in Australia. Gastric Cancer 2002:5:118 Ong HS, Smithers BM
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with pancreaticogastrostomy: assessment of patients' nutritional status, quality of life and pancreatic exocrine function. Aust N Z J Surg. 2000 Mar;70(3):199-203. Ong HS, Ng EH, Heng G, Soo KC.
- The viability of liver graft for transplantation after prolonged warm ischaemia. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1999 Jan;28(1):25-30. Ong HS, Soo KC, Joseph VT, Tan SY, Jeyaraj PR.
- An improved model of galactosamine-induced fulminant hepatic failure in the pig. J Surg Res. 1999 Apr;82(2):121-30. Kalpana K, Ong HS, Soo KC, Tan SY, Prema Raj J.