Assoc Prof Cheow Peng Chung
Singapore General Hospital
Hepato-pancreato-biliary and Transplant Surgery
MBBS, M Med (Surg), FRCS (Ed), FAMS
Dr Cheow is a Senior Consultant with the Department of Hepato-pancreato-biliary and Transplant Surgery. His area of practice is general surgery, with specialization in open and laparoscopic surgery of the liver, pancreas and gall bladder, including cadaveric and living-donor liver transplant. He is also in charge of the High Dependency Unit and Immediate Care Area of the Department. In addition, he is a Visiting Consultant to the National Cancer Centre, Singapore.
Dr Cheow is actively involved in teaching and mentoring of medical students, junior doctors and surgical trainees. He is concurrently Adjunct Assistant Professor with the Duke-NUS Medical School and the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. He is also an Examiner with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, and a certified instructor in the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) program of the American College of Surgeons.
|Dr Cheow graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore in 1992. He subsequently completed his training in general surgery and hepatobiliary / pancreatric (HPB) surgery, obtaining post-graduate qualifications of Fellowship with the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) and Master of Medicine (Surgery) with the National University of Singapore in 1998, and Certificate of Specialist Accreditation from the Ministry of Health, Singapore in 2003. He did a Clinical Fellowship in HPB Surgery and Gastro-intestinal Transplantation at the Toronto General Hospital, Canada in 2004-2005, where he underwent advanced training in hepatobiliary / pancreatic surgery as well as transplantation of the liver, pancreas and kidney. He is gazetted by the Ministry of Health, Singapore as a liver transplant surgeon since 2006.|
- Lee SY, Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Cheow PC, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy. Singapore Med J. 2008 Nov;49(11):883-5.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Cheow PC, Ong HS, Chan WH, Chow PK, Soo KC, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Critical appraisal of 232 consecutive distal pancreatectomies with emphasis on risk factors, outcome, and management of the postoperative pancreatic fistula: a 21-year experience at a single institution. Arch Surg. 2008 Oct;143(10):956-65.
- Chan WH, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Ong HS, Koong HN, Wong WK. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for locally advanced stomach cancer: preliminary results. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Sep; 78(9): 767-70.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Outcome of distal pancreatectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Dig Surg. 2008 Feb 21;25(1):32-38.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Thng CH, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL. How useful are clinical, biochemical, and cross-sectional imaging features in predicting potentially malignant or malignant cystic lesions of the pancreas? Results from a single institution experience with 220 surgically treated patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Jan;206(1):17-27.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Thng CH, Mesenas S, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Pancreatic cysts: a proposed management algorithm based on current evidence. Am J Surg. 2007 Jun;193(6):749-55.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chung AY, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LLSolid pseudopapillary neoplasms of the pancreas: an updated experience. J Surg Oncol. 2007 Jun 15;95(8):640-4.
- Thia TJ, Lui HF, Ooi LL, Chung YF, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Tan YM, Chow WC. A study into the risk of exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 May;11(5):612-8.
- M Mashfiqul AS, Tan YM, Thng CH, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Ooi LL. Pedunculated HCC or adrenal metastasis: a diagnostic conundrum. Singapore Med J. 2007 Feb;48(2):e50-2.
- Goh BK, Ooi LL, Kumarasinghe MP, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chow PK, Chung YF, Wong WK. Clinicopathological features of patients with concomitant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas and pancreatic endocrine neoplasm. Pancreatology. 2006;6(6):520-6. Epub 2006 Nov 23.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Chung YF, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Wong WK, Ooi LL. A review of mucinous cystic neoplasms of the pancreas defined by ovarian-type stroma: clinicopathological features of 344 patients. World J Surg. 2006 Dec;30(12):2236-45.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Cystic lesions of the pancreas: an appraisal of an aggressive resectional policy adopted at a single institution during 15 years. Am J Surg. 2006 Aug;192(2):148-54.
- Teo MC, Tan YM, Chung AY, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Soo KC, Hee SW, Ooi LL. Metastectomy for non-colorectal, non-neuroendocrine liver secondaries. ANZ J Surg. 2006 Jul;76(7):575-8.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Yap WM, Cheow PC, Chow PK, Chung YF, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Pancreatic serous oligocystic adenomas: clinicopathologic features and a comparison with serous microcystic adenomas and mucinous cystic neoplasms. World J Surg. 2006 Aug;30(8):1553-9.
- Tan FL, Tan YM, Chung AY, Cheow PC, Chow PK, Ooi LL. Factors affecting early mortality in spontaneous rupture of hepatocellular carcinoma. ANZ J Surg. 2006 Jun;76(6):448-52.
- Goh BK, Ooi LL, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK. Clinico-pathological features of cystic pancreatic endocrine neoplasms and a comparison with their solid counterparts. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006 Jun;32(5):553-6. Epub 2006 Apr 3.
- Goh BK, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Chung YF, Chow PK, Wong WK, Ooi LL. Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas with mucin-produiction. Eur J Surg Oncol 2005 Apr; 31(3): 282-287.
- Tan YM, Chung AY, Chow PK, Cheow PC, Wong WK, Ooi LL, Soo KC. An appraisal of surgical and percutaneous drainage for pyogenic liver abscesses larger than 5cm. Ann Surg 2005 Mar; 241(3): 485-490.
- Chung YF, Thng CH, Lui HF, Mancer K, Chow PK, Tan YM, Cheow PC, Ooi LL. Clinical mimicry of hepatocellular carcinoma: imaging-pathological correlation. Singapore Med J 2005 Jan; 46(1): 31-36.
- Cheow PC, Ooi LL. Liver cancer: an overview. Cancer Reviews: Asia Pacific 2003; 1(2): 297-311.
- Cheow PC, Ooi LL. Surgical management of colorectal metastases to the liver. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2003 Mar; 32(2): 145-150.