Dr Jon Yoong Kah Choun
Singapore General Hospital
Rheumatology and Immunology
MB ChB, MRCP (London), FRCP (Edin), FAMS
Dr Jon Yoong is Senior Consultant in the Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH). He began his training in Rheumatology and Immunology at Kingston & St George’s Hospital, London, United Kingdom before returning to Singapore.
As the Department’s Director of Undergraduate Education and Adjunct Assistant Professor for Duke-NUS Medical School Singapore, Dr Yoong is heavily involved in the planning and development of the curriculum for Duke-NUS Medical School. He takes the lead in refining the way in which Rheumatology is taught by embracing digital technology for all three Singapore Medical Schools namely Duke-NUS, Yong Loo Lin NUS and Lee Kong Chian NTU. He is course director for the widely well-received annual department’s Rheumatology Review Course for final year medical students.
Dr Yoong has published in Singapore and international medical journals including The New England Journal of Medicine in 2006 and again in 2008. One of the highlights in his portfolio in medical education was a large collaborative effort with SGH Departments of Hand Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery and Plastic Surgery that resulted in an oral presentation in Harvard Medical School Medical Education Conference in 2012.
Dr Yoong is a Harvard Macy Scholar and Harvard Macy Alumnus
- FRCP (Edin), Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom 2011
- MRCP (London), Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom 2002
- Senior Consultant, Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
- Director, Undergraduate Education, Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School Singapore
- Department Lead for Rheumatology, Duke-NUS, NUS-YLL and LKC Medical School, Singapore
- Senior Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
- SingHealth Internal Medicine Residency Faculty
- Autoimmunity and Rheumatology Centre Media and Communication Strategy Lead and Coordinator for inaugural opening in 2013
- Rheumatology Review Course for final year medical students - Course Director
- Singapore General Hospital Service Quality Award 2017
- Spring Singapore, Gold Award 2012
- Excellent Service Award (EXSA), Superstar Service Award 2009
- Singapore General Hospital Service Quality, Heart of Gold Award 2008
- Fong W, Yoong J. Mycophenolate Mofetil as a therapeutic option for Neuropsychiatric Lupus. Proc Singapore Healthc. 2014 Oct
- GG Teng, Cheung P, Manjari Lahiri, Jane A Clayton, Swee Cheng Ng, Bernard Y Thong, Archana R Vasudevan, Yoong J, Keng Hong Leong. Singapore Chapter of Rheumatologists Consensus Statement on the Eligibility for Government Subsidy of Biologic Disease Modifying Antirheumatic Agents for Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2014 Aug. 43. 400-11
- Ng X, Low AH, Chew LC, Chong YY, Fong KY, Lui NL, Sim E, Tan YK, Yoong J, Thumboo J. Disease patterns of rheumatology outpatients of a tertiary hospital serving a multi-ethnic urban population in Asian population in Singapore. Int J Rheum Dis. 2013 Jun;16(3):273-8
- Yoong J, Lui NL.. Educating the Future of Rheumatology. Proc Singapore Healthc (Review Article) 2013;22:172-8
- Fong W, Loh Y, Yoong J. Hematopoietic stem cell transplant in systemic lupus erythematosus : A case report. Proc Singapore Healthc. 2013; 22;56-63
- Fong W, Thumboo J, Fong KY, Yoong J. IgG4-related disease in Singapore. Int J Rheum Dis. 2013 Feb;16(1):93-7. doi: 10.1111/1756-185x.12027.
- Yoong J. Ankylosing Spondylitis. New England Journal of Medicine 2008;18:359
- Yoong J, Thumboo J. Drug Profile: Etanercept (Review Article). Medical Progress, 2008;35(6): 290-294.
- Yoong J, Chew LC, Quek R, Lim CH, Zai JQ, Fong KY, Thumboo J. Cardiac lymphoma in primary Sjogren syndrome: a novel case established by targeted imaging and pericardial window. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007;134(2):513-4.
- Yoong J, Fong KY, Tang KK, Tan RK, Thumboo J. Rheumatoid-Atlantoaxial disease associated syringomyelia. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007 Feb;36(2):150-1
- Yoong J. Heavy-metal meals of mercury. New England Journal of Medicine 2006;19:354
- Yoong J, Thumboo J. Pseudocalcification in a patient with inflammatory arthritis. Rheumatol Int 2006;26:855-6
- Yoong J. Mobile phones can be a pain: Text messaging tenosynovitis. B J Hosp Med 2005;66:370
- Carty SM, Yoong J, Lawson TM, Bevan MA. An unusual case of extra bone formation. Rheumatology(Oxford) 2005;44:767
- Yoong J. Coxibs and serious adverse cardiovascular events: a class-effect? J R Soc Med 2004;97:609