Prof Tan Kok Hian
KK Women's and Children's Hospital
Division of O&G
MBBS, MRCOG, M Med (O&G), FAMS, FRCOG
A/Prof Tan is interested in improving health and pregnancy outcomes for mothers by creating new ways of predicting, assessing and reducing adverse risk factors and outcomes.
Perinatal Epidemiology, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Medical History, Internet & Community Education, Stem Cells and Exosomes.
- FRCOG (London)
- FAMS (O&G)
- MMed (O&G) Singapore
- MRCOG (London)
- MBBS (Singapore)
Professional Appointments and Memberships
- Congress Trust Fund (Registered Charity) of the Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Singapore Trustee
- Perinatal Society of Singapore
Executive Board President (1999/2000, 2003/2004, 2004/2005, 2009/2010)
- Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Singapore (OGSS)
Council President (2001-2003)
Editor Singapore Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2006-2011)
- Editor-in-Chief, Internet Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Specialty Editor for O&G, Singapore Medical Journal
- College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Council Member
Teaching Appointments and Activities
- Associate Program Director Singhealth Transitional Year
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Duke Graduate Medical School. Duke-GMS
- Clinical Associate Professor, Yong Loo Lin (YLL) School of Medicine
National University of Singapore
- MOH Member Singapore O&G Resident Advisory Committee (RAC)
- MOH Member Singapore O&G Specialist Training Committee (STC)
- Regional MRCOG Part II Examination Course in Singapore (1st to 10th): Trainer
- Joint MMed (O&G) and MRCOG Examiner (Singapore)
- Examiner MBBS NUS and Medical Students O&G OSCE
- Singapore Ministry of Health National Medical Excellence Awards Inaugural National Outstanding Clinical Quality Activist Award, 2010
- World Health Organisation (WHO) United Arab Emirates (UAE) Health Foundation Prize 2009 for Integrated Perinatal Care Project, Team Leader.
- Singapore Ministry of Health National Clinical Excellence Inaugural Team Award 2008
Team Leader of Perinatal Team
- KKH Service from the Heart Award
(2007, 2006 Dec, 2005 Jun, 2004 Mar (2-Heart Award), 2003 Mar (1-Heart Award), 2000 Dec (3-Star Award))
- Asia Hospital Award 2004 Winner of Patient Safety and Risk Management Category - Integrated Labour Ward Risk Management System
KH Tan, K Kwek, Wee HY, Tee J, Yeo GSH
- Chan L, Tan KH, Vengadasalam D. A low dose oxytocin regime for induction and augmentation of labour. Singapore Med J 1990 Aug 31:4 321-6
- Tan KH, Lim PH. Testicular biopsy and scrotal exploration in the management of male infertility. Singapore Med J 1991 Feb 32:1 41-6
- Tan KH, Sim R, Yam KL. Kielland's forceps delivery: is it a dying art? Singapore Med J 1992 Aug 33:4 380-2.
- Han HC, Tan KH, Chew SY. Management of breech presentation at term. Singapore Med J 1993 Jun 34:3 247-52
- Yeo GSH, Tan KH, Liu TC, Screening for beta thalassaemia and HbE traits with the mean red cell volume in pregnant women. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1994 May 23:3 363-6
- Tan KT, Tan KH. Pregnancy and delivery in primigravidae aged 35 and over. Singapore Med J 1994 Oct 35:5 495-501
- Chen LH, Tan KH, Yeo GSH. A ten-year review of uterine rupture in modern obstetric practice. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1995 Nov 24:6 830-5
- Yeo GSH, Tan KH, Liu TC. The role of discriminant functions in screening for beta-thalassaemia traits during pregnancy. Singapore Med J 1995 Dec 36:6 615-8
- Lee WH, Tan KH, Lee YW. The aetiology of postmenopausal bleeding--a study of 163 consecutive cases in Singapore. Singapore Med J 1995 Apr 36:2 164-8
- Tan KH, Kilby MD, Whittle MJ, Beattie BR, Booth IW, Botting BJ. Congenital anterior abdominal wall defects in England and Wales 1987-93. BMJ 1996 Oct 12, 313:7062 903-2.
- CT Yeong, Tan KH, CS Tee, GSH Yeo. Optimising Management of Stillbirths in Modern Singapore. Singapore Med J 1997 Aug 38:8 317-320
- Tan KH, Teo KP. Reducing the vertical transmission of HIV - Pregnant women in Singapore support testing. BMJ 1998; 316: 1899
- Kwek K, Chan YGS, Tan KH, Yeo GSH. Validation of an Oscillometric Electronic Sphygmomanometer in an Obstetric Population American Journal of Hypertension 1998; 11:978-982
- Yeong CT, Lim TLW, Tan KH. Ureteral Injury in an Obstetric and Gynaecology Teaching Hospital Med J Malaysia Vol 53 No1 March 1998-06-12 51-57
- Tham WL, Tan KH, Tee CS, Yeo GSH. Confidential enquiry of stillbirths in current obstetric Practice. International J Obst Gyne 1999 64:287-296.
- Tan KH, Wyldes MP, Settatree R, Mictchell T. Confidential Regional Enquiry into mature Stillbirths and Neonatal Deaths – A Multi-Disciplinary Peer Panel Perspective of the Perinatal Care of 238 Deaths. Singapore Med J 1999 40:251-253.
- Tan TYT, Teo KP, Tan KH. Antenatal HIV Screening - Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Obstetricians in KKH. Singapore Med J 1999;40(12):733-37.
- Wong A, Tan KH, Tee CS, Yeo GSH. Seroprevalence of Cytomegalovirus, Toxoplasma and Parvovirus in Pregnancy. Singapore Med J 2000;41(4):151-155
- Tan KH, Smyth R. Fetal vibroacoustic stimulation for facilitation of tests of fetal wellbeing (Cochrane Review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;1:CD002963.
- Tan KH, Sabapathy A. Maternal glucose administration for facilitating tests of fetal wellbeing. (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;4:CD003397.
- Tan KH, Sabapathy A. Fetal manipulation for facilitating tests of fetal wellbeing (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;4:CD003396.
- Quah TC, Chiu JW, Tan KH, Yeo SW, Tan HM. Obstetric admissions to the intensive therapy unit of a tertiary care institution. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2001 May;30(3):250-3.
- Lai FM, Woo BH, Tan KH, Huang J, Lee ST, Yan TB, Tan BH, Chew SK, Yeo GSH. Birth prevalence of Down syndrome in Singapore from 1993 to 1998. Singapore Med J. 2002 Feb; 43(2):070-6.
- Rajadurai VS, Tan KH. The Use and Abuse of Steroids in Perinatal Medicine. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2003;32:344-34
- CY Chen, K Kwek, Tan KH, GSH Yeo. Our Experience with Eclampsia in Singapore SMJ 44(2) 088-093 2003
- Tan KH, Sabapathy A. Fetal manipulation for facilitating tests of fetal wellbeing (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 4, 2004. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. (Updated with additional trials)
- Tan KH, Smyth R. Fetal vibroacoustic stimulation for facilitation of tests of fetal wellbeing (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 4, 2004. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. CD002963 (Updated with additional trials)
- Chen H, Chan YH, Tan KH, Lee T. Depressive symptomatology in pregnancy - A Singaporean perspective. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2004 Dec;39 (12):975-9.
- W Kang, K H Tan. Implant contraception in Singaporean women: one decade of experience in KK Women's and Children's Hospital. Singapore Med J 2004 Vol 45(10):482-486
- Kok J, Tan KH, Koh S, Cheng PS, Yew ML, Yeo GSH. Antenatal Use Of A Novel Vaginal Birth Training Device By Term Primiparous Women In Singapore Singapore Med J 2004 Vol 45(7):318-323
- East CE, Smyth R, Leader LR, Henshall NE, Colditz PB, Tan KH. Vibroacoustic stimulation for fetal assessment in labour in the presence of a non-reassuring fetal heart rate trace. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Apr 18;(2):CD004664. Review.
- Tan KH. Further decline in the incidence of eclampsia in Singapore. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2005 May;84(5):496.
- Kang W, Hian Tan K. A simple technique for localization of deeply inserted, non palpable Norplant implant. Contraception. 2005 May;71(5):392-4
- Tan KH, Luddin NS. Hydrostatic reduction of acute uterine inversion. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005 Oct;91(1):63-4.
- Kwek K, Yeap ML, Tan KH, Tee JC, Yeo GSH. Crash caesarean section--decision-to-delivery interval. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2005 Sep;84(9):914-5.
- Tan KH. Maternal age and low fertility rate: Anecdotal and epidemiological viewpoints. (BMJ rapid response 24 September 2005) http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/331/7517/588#117099
- Lim TL, Tan KH, Tee CS, Yeo GSH. Investigating stillbirths using a simplified obstetric events-based protocol. Singapore Med J. 2005 Feb;46(2):63-8.
- Tan KH, Tan TY, Tan J, Tan I, Chew SK, Yeo GSH. Birth defects in Singapore: 1994-2000. Singapore Med J. 2005 Oct;46(10):545-52.
- Tan KH, Kwek K, Yeo GSH. Epidemiology of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia at the KK Women's and Children's Hospital, Singapore. Singapore Med J. 2006 Jan; 47(1):48-53
- Tan KH. Book Review: “Haemorrhage And Thrombosis For The MRCOG And Beyond” Singapore Med J 2006; 47(5) : 445-6
- Tan K B L, Tan S H, Tan K H, Yeo G S H Anencephaly in Singapore: a ten-year series from 1993-2002. Singapore Medical Journal 2007. 48;1:12-15
- Loi K, Khoo CK, Tan KH, Yeo GS, Kwek K. A review of 93 cases of severe preeclampsia in Singapore: are there risk factors for complications? Singapore Med J. 2007 Sep;48(9):808-12
- Thian YL, Tan KH, Kwek JW, Wang J, Chern B, Yam KL. Leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminata and subcutaneous myoma-a rare complication of laparoscopic myomectomy.Abdom Imaging. 2008 Mar 1 DOI: 10.1007/s00261-008-9379-5
- Tan KB, Tan KH, Chew SK, Yeo GS. Gastroschisis and omphalocele in Singapore: a ten-year series from 1993 to 2002.Singapore Med J. 2008 Jan;49(1):31-36.
- Tan KB, Tan KH, Yeo GS.Cleft deformities in Singapore: a population-based series 1993-2002.Singapore Med J. 2008 Sep;49(9):710-4.
- Sulaiman S, Tan K H. Markedly-elevated serum CA125 in a woman with pulmonary tuberculosis. Singapore Med J 2009; 50(1): e39-e40.
- Derivation and Characterization of Human Fetal MSCs: an alternative cell source for large-scale production of cardioprotective microparticles. Ruenn Chai Lai, Fatih Arslan, Soon Sim Tan, Betty Tan, Andre Choo, May May Lee, Tian Sheng Chen, Bao Ju Teh, John Kun Long Eng, Harwin Sidik, Vivek Tanavde, Wei Sek Hwang, Chuen Neng Lee, Reida Menshawe El Oakley, Gerard Pasterkamp, Dominique P V de Kleijn, Kok Hian Tan, Sai Kiang Lim. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology - J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010 Jan 11;
- Collaborator Pregnancy Domain, National Research Foundation Translational and Clinical Research Flagship Programme Grant Study - Developmental Pathways to Metabolic Disease, 2008 (GUSTO – Growing Up in Singapore Towards Healthy Outcomes)
- Principal Investigator - Improving The Adverse Outcomes of Pregnancy – clinical and translational research programme in perinatal medicine. NMRC PROGRAMME PROJECT GRANT (PPG), 2010. (Obstetric Project - Neonatal & Obstetrics Risk Assessment NORA)