Dr Teo Ching Ching Melissa
National Cancer Centre Singapore
Division of Surgical Oncology
Senior Consultant/Acting Head
MBBS, MMed (Surg), FRCSEd, FAMS, MPH
Dr Melissa Teo is one of only three accredited surgical oncologists in Singapore. She completed her surgical residency in Singapore and in 2007, was awarded the Singhealth HMDP Award to pursue sub-specialty training in complex intra-abdominal and pelvic surgery in the University of Toronto/ Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada. In addition to her Surgical Oncology Fellowship, she also completed Colorectal Surgery Fellowship. Interested in policy development, she received an NMRC Award and enrolled in the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and graduated in December 2009 with a Master of Public Health and an additional Diploma in Health Policy and Financial Management.
She has since returned to work at the National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS), as a Senior Consultant and was appointed the Director of the NCCS Centre for Peritoneal and Pelvic Disease. The centre now has the largest experience with the surgical management of peritoneal-based malignancies in Asia. She has been a strong advocate for improving cancer care in Singapore, and is currently an executive council member of the Singapore Society of Oncology, a member of the Ministry of Health workgroup for the evaluation and financing of screening and treatment modalities, the Chair person for the new NCCS building committee, a member of the Gastrointestinal Tract for NCCS Cancer Service Line development, and Co-chair of the paediatrics/sarcoma/ melanoma workgroup for NCCS Cancer Service Line Development.
Dr Teo has held many research leadership positions and is the PI of more than 10 IRBs, author of more than 20 peer reviewed publications and 3 book chapters.
Dr Teo’s mission as a surgical oncologist is to improve cancer care in the country and the region, through increased patient awareness of the disease, and its management, contributing to the setting of guidelines and pushing the frontiers for cancer management in her areas of expertise and education of the next generation of surgical residents, clinical fellows and medical students.
MBBS (S’pore), FRCS (Edin), MPH (Johns Hopkins)
Surgical Oncology (University of Toronto), Colorectal Surgery (University of Toronto)
- Member, Singapore Medical Association
- Member, General Medical Council (UK)
- Executive Council Member, Singapore Society of Oncology
- Fellow of Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member, The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Society of Surgical Oncology
- Member, The Society of Surgical Oncology, Inc
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (Aug 2012 to Jul 2015)
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Duke-NUS GMS (Jan 2011 to Present)
- Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine Awards and Appreciation Nite 2013: Outstanding Tutor Award
- NMRC Clinician Scientist: Individual Research Grant (CS-IRG), 2013
- Outstanding Faculty Award – voted by your residents at the RISE award 2013
- Terry Fox Research Grant – Molecular Signature of Peritoneal Metastasis, 2012
- Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine: Best Tutor Awards, 2012
- Service With A Heart Award, Singapore General Hospital, 2012
- Surgical Star – Inspiring Teacher Award (Division of Surgery, SGH), 2011
- NMRC Research Training Fellowship – MPH (John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health), 2008
|1. Healthcare Worker Seroconversion in SARS outbreak - P Chow, Eng EO, HK Tan, Kw Ong, BK Sil, M Teo, T Ng, KC Soo. Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal Feb 2004; 10:2|
2. Surgery for Sarcoma requiring Major Vascular Resection and Reconstruction: a case series -
M Teo, P Chow, KC Soo. Asian Journal of Surgery 2005 Oct (28);312-315
3. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding secondary to duodenal metastasis: A rare complication of primary lung cancer - B Goh, M Teo, SP Chng, HW Tan, HN Koong.
Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 21 (2006):482-87
4. Metastectomy for non-colorectal, non-neuroendocrine liver secondaries - M Teo, YM Tan, HS Wan, YF Chung, KH Chow, PC Cheow, KC Soo, PJ Ooi. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Surgery July 2006; 76:575-78
5. Lessons learnt from initial experience with peritonectomy and intra-peritoneal chemotherapy infusion - M Teo, Foo KF, Koo WH, Wong LT, Soo KC. World Journal of Surgery Dec 2006; 30(12):2132-36
6. Right-sided Bochdalek's hernia in an adult - Goh BK, M Teo, Chng SP, Soo KC.
Am J Surg. 2007 Sep; 194(3):390-1
7. Bevacizumab and rapamycin inhibit tumor growth in peritoneal model of human ovarian cancer - Huynh H, M Teo, Soo KC. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007 Nov; 6(11):2959-66
8. Peritoneal-based malignancies and their treatment - M Teo. Annals of Academy of Medicine, Singapore 2010 Jan;39(1):54-7
9. Cancer report of the Asia-Pacific region 2010; 5.2.35. Singapore - M Teo, KC Soo Cancer Report of the Asia-Pacific region
10. Hypoglycaemia in a 63- year old female with a large, recurrent, metastatic Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour (GIST) - G Tan, M Teo, SP Choo. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, November 2010, pp. 1-3.
11. Retroperitoneal liposarcomas: the experience of a tertiary Asian center - SY Lee, B Goh, M Teo, MH Chew, P Chow, WK Wong, L Ooi, KC Soo. World Journal of Surgical Oncology 2011; 9:12.
12. First Somatic Mutation of E2F1 in a Critical Binding Residue Discovered in Well-differentiated Papillary Mesothelioma of the Peritoneum - W Yu, W Chan-On, M Teo, Ong CK, I Cutcutache, GE Allen, B Wong, M Swe Swe, Lim KH, PM Voorhoeve, S Rozen, Soo KC, P Tan, Teh BT. Genome Biology Sept 2011; 12(9).
13. Cancer Trends and Incidences in Singapore - M Teo, KC Soo. Japanese Journal of Oncology (JJCO Manuscript JJCO-12-0178.RI)DOI: 10.1093/jjco/hys230
14. Case report: lymphoepithelial-like carcinoma of the lung-a chronic disease? - J Wong, M Teo. World Journal of Surgical Oncology 2012, 10:91. DOI: 10.1186/1477-7819-10-91
15. Case Report of an Internal Hernia Through a Unilateral Congenital Defect
of the Broad Ligament and Literature Review - SZ Lim, V Tan, M Teo. Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare 2012, Vol. 21 No. 3.
16. Surgical Management of Colorectal Peritoneal Metastases: Treatment and Outcomes Compared with Hepatic Metastases - Tan GH, M Teo, Chen W, Lee SY, Ng DW, Tham CK, Soo KC. (Corresponding author: M Teo) Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer. 2012 Nov 9.
17. A case of lung cancer with isolated skip metastasis to an external iliac lymph node - D Ng, G Tan, M Teo. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports 2013, 1:48-52 http://ivyunion.org/index.php/ajccr/Vol. 1, Article ID 2013030008
18. Cutaneous vs Non-Cutaneous Angiosarcoma: Clinicopathologic Features and Treatment Outcomes in 60 Patients At a Single Asian Cancer Centre - F Mohamad, WS Ong, M Lee, R Jeevan, ZC Ho, A N H Sairi, LT Soh, D Poon, YH Teh, F Chin, M Teo, R Quek.
Oncology 2013 85 (3): 182-90
19. Surgical Management of Colorectal Peritoneal Metastases: Treatment and Outcomes Compared with Hepatic Metastases - Tan GH, M Teo, Chen W, Lee SY, Ng DW, Tham CK, Soo KC. J Gastrointest Cancer 2013, 170-6 44(2)
20. Quality of Life After Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: An Asian Perspective - Tan WJ, Wong JF, Chia CS, Tan GH, Soo KC, M Teo Ann Surg Oncol 2013, 4219-23 20(13)
21. Ovarian preservation with subcutaneous transposition in the setting of cytoreductive surgery. Tan WJ, Jung J, Chia CS, M Teo, Toh HC, Soo KC. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2013 Jan 17;4(3):305-307. doi: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2012.12.015. Epub 2013 Jan 17
22. An unusual case of presacral carcinoid and the approach to its management - J Wong, M Teo. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports Mar 2013; 1(1):1-7.
23. Peritoneal Mesothelioma – A Review Concerning Surgical Management, Prognostic Factors, Future Advances and Our Experience in an Asian Population - G Tan, D Ng, KC Soo, M Teo. Austral-Asia Journal of Cancer April 2013; 12(2)
24. Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma; a case series - G Tan, M Teo, M Cheung, J Chanyaputhipong, Soo KC. Annals of Academy of Medicine, Singapore 2013. June:42(6):291-96
25. The influence of Primary Site on outcomes in leiomyosarcoma: a review of clinicopathologic differences between uterine and extrauterine disease - Farid M, Ong WS, Tan MH, Foo LS, Lim YK, Chia WK, Soh LT, Poon D, Lee MJ, Ho ZC, Jeevan R, Chin F, M Teo, Quek R. American Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2013 Aug;36(4):368-74. Doi: 10.1097/COC.0b013e318248dbf4 PMID: 22772425
26. Brain metastasis in sarcoma: Does metastasectomy or aggressive multi-disciplinary treatment improve survival outcomes? C Chua, J Raaj, S Pan, M Farid, MJF Lee, ZC Ho, A Sairi, K. Sittampalam, M Tao, Kevin Tay, ST Lim, F Chin, M Teo, R Quek . Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 12 AUG 2013 DOI: 10.1111/ajco.12111
27. Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) in Asian Patients: 100 Consecutive Patients in a Single Institution - M Teo, G Tan, CK Tham, C, KC Soo Annals of Surgical Oncology 2013 Sep;20(9):2968-74. doi: 10.1245/s10434-013-2947-0 Epub 2013 Mar 17
28. Peri-operative morbidity and Quality of Life Outcomes following Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) in Asian Patients - W Tan, C Chia, G Tan, J Wong, M Teo. Annals of Surgical Oncology. Sept 2013
29. Extramammary Paget’s Disease in an Asian Population: A Single Centre’s Experience - Lee CM, Cheong KX, Kesavan S, M Teo. Asian Journal of Cancer Vol. 13, No. 1, Jan 2014: 21-30
30. Update on Management and the role of intraperitoneal chemotherapy for ovarian cancer M Teo. Journal of Current Opinions in Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2014 Feb;26(1):3-8
31. A case of portomesenteric venous gas found with extensive secondary pneumatosis intestinalis in the small bowel, stomach and distal oesophagus on radiographic images with an insidious presentation - D Ng, C Chia, G Tan, YG Tan, M Teo. Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology: Volume 7, Issue 2 (2014), Page 140-143
32. Endometrosis after surgical menopause mimicking pelvic malignancy: surgeons’ predicament - Rani A.Bhat, M Teo, Akhil K.Bhat Oman Medical Journal (2014) Vol. 29, No.3: 226-231
33. Malignancy arising in a 41-year-old colonic interposition graft - D Ng, G Tan, M Teo Asian Journal of Surgery Ms. Ref. No.: ASJ
34. Quality of life in patients with peritoneal surface malignancies after cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy - C Chia, W Tan, G Tan, J Wong, M Teo Submitted: European Journal of Surgical Oncology (accepted)
35. Role of Pelvic Exenteration in the Management of Locally Advanced Primary and Recurrent Rectal Cancer - Koh YX, D Ng, G Tan, M Teo. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer (accepted)
36. Colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis treated with cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC): the experience of a tertiary Asian Centre - M Teo, G Tan, C Lim, C Chia, CK Tham, KC Soo. Asian Journal of Surgery (Accepted for publication)
37. Cloquet’s node trumps imaging modalities in the prediction of pelvic nodal involvement in patients with lower limb melanomas in Asian patients with palpable groin nodes - Koh YX, Chok AY, Zheng HL, Xu S, Soo KC, M Teo. European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO), Available online 5 June 2014